In a sad story, a 25-year-old student from India passed away tragically because of carbon monoxide poisoning. This happened because a car was left running in a house in Ontario, Canada. News reports brought attention to this unfortunate event.
When emergency services responded to an early morning call about a possible gas leak in a house in Kitchener city, they found really high levels of carbon monoxide (CO). The Waterloo Regional Police explained that the source of this dangerous gas was a car left running in the garage.
Upon reaching the scene, the police discovered seven people affected by carbon monoxide poisoning and rushed them to a hospital. Sadly, one of them didn’t make it, as confirmed by the police.
The victim, a recent graduate from India studying in Canada, was not named publicly at the family’s request. This information was shared by Don Patel, a close friend of the family, as reported by CTV News. Patel explained that the deceased was the only one awake that Tuesday morning and went downstairs to check a strange noise. When he opened the garage door, he collapsed immediately due to inhaling toxic fumes.
“He’s the only child here, having come four years ago. His parents are back in India,” Patel said, expressing the deep sorrow and disbelief of the family. “They’re asking: ‘How could this happen? Why our son?'”
To ensure the swift return of the 25-year-old’s body to India, Don Patel and others are working closely with the coroner and the Indian consulate. Patel stressed the urgency, saying, “Waiting a week or ten days to bring back their loved one is heartbreaking. So, we’re doing our best to coordinate with all the relevant authorities.”
Deputy Fire Chief Chris Davidson shared a troubling finding, mentioning the absence of working carbon monoxide alarms in the house. This is concerning, especially since it’s mandatory for every home in Ontario to have functioning fire and carbon monoxide alarms, he emphasized.